Japan’s Fukushima Nuclear Plant Back on Track After Temporary Halt

Wed Apr 24 2024
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

TOKYO: Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) announced the resumption of treated wastewater released into the ocean from Japan’s damaged Fukushima nuclear plant, following a temporary suspension due to a partial power outage at the site.

The release recommenced at 5:16 pm with no reported abnormalities after an interruption that lasted several hours.

The Fukushima-Daiichi plant suffered a meltdown in 2011 following a devastating earthquake and tsunami, marking one of history’s most severe nuclear disasters, claiming thousands of lives.

TEPCO initially reported that electricity source line A ceased functioning around 10:43 am (0143 GMT), coinciding with the halt in the release of water treated through the ALPS filtration process. However, the cooling system for the reactors continued to operate without significant changes detected in radiation levels at the plant.

During an excavation operation, a worker sustained an injury near an electric circuit. An investigation revealed that the worker may have damaged the cable during the excavation work.

A TEPCO spokesman suggested a possible connection between the power loss and the suspension of ALPS operation, while the injured worker, though conscious and uncontaminated, received medical attention on-site.

Last year, Japan initiated the gradual release of treated wastewater from the Fukushima plant into the Pacific Ocean due to the facility running out of space for water tanks and the necessity of clearing the area for the removal of radioactive materials.

Japan contends that the released water, diluted heavily with seawater, poses no harm over decades, a stance supported by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and several leading economies. However, China and later Russia imposed bans on Japanese seafood imports, alleging environmental pollution.

A delegation from the IAEA, along with international experts, is currently in Japan to assess the safety and regulatory aspects of the water discharge, conducting a mission scheduled from April 23 to 26.


icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp