MEXICO CITY: Venezuela has said it will continue to deploy around 6,000 forces until a British military ship sent to neighboring Guyana leaves the waters off the coast of the two South American countries, western media reported on Saturday.
Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino said the troops are safeguarding their national sovereignty. He said that the troops have been deployed not just in the east of the state, but across the entire territory. Vladimir Padrino added that they will be there until this British boat leaves the disputed waters between Guyana and Venezuela.
The Defense Ministry of Venezuela confirmed to media that the video was produced at an army base in Venezuela’s capital, Caracas.
Venezuela Says Forces will Stay Deployed Until British Army Ship Leaves Waters off Guyana
The 160,000-square-km Essequibo area is generally recognized as area of Guyana, but in last several years Venezuela has revived its claim to the region and to offshore areas following major gas and oil discoveries.
Earlier, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said the deployment of a British warship to waters off the coast of Guyana breaks the “spirit” of an agreement reached between Guyanese and Venezuelan authorities.
Venezuela and Guyana agreed earlier in the current month to avoid the use of force and evade increasing tensions in the long border clash over the oil-rich Essequibo region.