GAZA: In a rare disciplinary move against Israel, the US said on Tuesday it will impose travel bans on extremist settlers implicated in a rash of recent assaults on Palestinian people in the occupied West Bank, Western media reported.
In a statement, the US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said “Today, the State Department is executing a new visa restriction policy targeting people to have been involved in undermining security, peace, or stability in the occupied West Bank, including through carrying out acts of violence or taking other acts that unduly restrict civilian population access to essential services and basic necessities,”.
Washington Restricts Visas on Extremist Jewish Settlers
Blinken made the announcement following repeatedly warning Israel earlier that Biden’s administration would be taking measures over the assaults. The US Secretary of State said that family members of such individuals also may be subject to these restrictions.
Daily settler assaults have doubled, UN says since October 7. Israel has bombed and attacked Gaza, killing over 16,000 people mostly women and children.
Blinken added that Washington has consistently opposed acts that undermine stability in the occupied West Bank, including assaults by Israeli settlers against people of Palestine. He maintained that they have underlined to Israel the need to take more steps to make accountable extremist Jewish settlers who have carried violent assaults against Palestinian people in the occupied West Bank.
Israel must take more steps to permit fuel and other relief into the Gaza Strip, the United States (US) said on Tuesday as Israel’s brutal attack on Gaza intensified.
“The level of help that is getting in is not enough,” US State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said. “It needs to increase, and we have made that clear to Israel.”
Earlier, on Monday, around 100 humanitarian aid trucks and 69,000 liters of fuel were provided to the Gaza Strip from Egypt, the UN said.